Sunday, July 20, 2008

Presbyterian Church of the Holy Trinity

We did go to church today and sat by the window even though the air conditioner was on and the window was not open as it was last time we attended. For those of you traveling to Kyiv in the future, the church is located at 50-52 Shevshenko Blvd, near the University metro stop. If you are staying anywhere near Kreschatik, its within walkable distance but you are going uphill. Give yourslef 40 minutes if walking. The service is translated into English; sit near the back so you can hear the translator. The service starts at 11:00.

They sang some worship songs that Roman knew from camp. He loves to just belt out songs. Its so wonderful to hear him singing "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High" in his deep Russian voice. Vitalik, too, has learned this song and though it is a little more subdued, it was a joy this morning to hear him singing on one side of me while Roman sang out on the other.

After church, we had lunch at Kafka, as we always do on Sunday. It is true that adopted children thrive on routine! We sat at our usual table and the kids ate a club sandwich, like they always do. Or, rather, Alexandra had 3/4 of a club sandwich, Roman had 3/4 of a sandwich and Vitalik had 1 and a half sandwiches! I decided to try something different and had a chicken sandwich with my usual salad. Whenever I order a chicken sandwich here, it is sliced chicken as opposed to a big chicken breast, and it is always good. At least in restaurants, the only way to get vegetables is in a salad but they are always good and always fresh. (Cathy, that was for you!)





After lunch we walked back to the apartment to change clothes then headed back up the hill to Shevshenko Park. It is such a lovely park. Then we shopped a bit for Vitalik some new shoes. The boy is growing! As always, there were interesting sights on Kreschatik which I must include in my photo journal of the day.






After watching Vitalik chow down on some spaghetti for dinner at El Patio, we headed over to the supermarket to buy our daily ration of sausage, bread and eggs. For those of you who have never shopped at a supermarket in Ukraine and may be coming over soon, the first thing the cashier will ask you is if you need a bag. Just say "da" and you'll be safe. I usually have to ask for more bags than she estimates I will need. Also, you bag your own groceries. The kids enjoy this job. Both Vitalik and Roman insist on carrying the bags for me; only on rare occassions will Alexandra or I be allowed to help with this job.




I sure hope we get that passport tomorrow or Tuesday and can head home. I think that even Alexandra is now ready to move on. She has been such a trooper all these weeks. She and I are as much best friends as we are mother and daughter and I know this has been a sacrifice for her. She is the best daughter, friend and sister in the world and I am so thankful for the MAJOR part she has played in bringing our boys home. She has become quite the translator!

3 comments:

Ande and Paula Underwood said...

Suzette,
We have been at the beach this week without regular internet, so I'm just getting caught up on your blog. It's funny, Chris reminded me the day that it was Vitalik's birthday. I was surprised he remembered. Please tell Vitalik happy bday from all of us. I am so glad that you are on the final leg of your journey. Please let us know if yall fly into Bham- want to see all of you.
Love ya and miss ya,
Paula Underwood

davidkmercier said...

Hi there. I just ran across your blog and it was very fun reading through it. I work for an organization that helps orphans in Russia (The Boaz Project) and I am always excited to hear of adoption stories! God Bless

Hall family said...

So proud of you all...what an amazing, faith-filled journey! Let us know the flight arrival plans...not sure if you feel best to have a crowd or not! We are just excited you will be close around soon...Love, Valerie Hall and family