Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It has to be possessed


As I mentioned a few days ago, we have been without hot water. This must be a neighborhood-wide thing as a notice is posted on buildings to the effect there will be no hot water until July 29th. When I realized we'd be here another week, I called Sasha who sent the landlady right over. She kindly hooked up the electric hot water heater and we all had glorious hot showers.

That first night after the hot water heater was turned on, I was awakened about 2:30am to this loud whistling sound. I could not for the life of me figure out what it was. At first I thought it was a fire alarm; then I thought maybe it had something to do with the gas. I was having trouble in the dark and in my sleep stupor pinpointing exactly where the sound was coming from. Finally, after going back to bed twice and just praying it would stop, I thought "Aha! The hot water heater." I opened the cabinet and sure enough that little devil was whistling like crazy. So I bang on it and tug on it trying to make the hissing stop. I see this plactic tube attached to it leading to the sink and feel around it. The source of the hissing is discovered! I'll put a stop to this, I think to myself, and give that plastic tube a tug. And water begins to pour forth! And the whistling continues. I put my finger over the spout and, behold, the whistling stops. And so there I am about 3:30 in the morning down on my hands and knees, my head stuck in a cabinet, with my finger over the spout of a hot water heater thinking about Hans Brinker who put his finger in the dyke to prevent a flood. Realizing eventually I can't keep this up all night, I remove my finger and the water flows once again and I begin to pace wondering what I am to do. Well, a mini-flood and numerous towels later, I am able to reattach the hose and the hissing stops. I go back to bed and am able to sleep. Until the next night.

Like clock work, the little water heater begins whistling at 2:30am. This time Vitalik gets up to see what all the commotion is about. I try removing and replacing the hose like the night before but it doesn't work this time. I unplug the hot water heater from its power source yet it continues to hiss. Finally, we discover that if we turn the water on in the kitchen sink, this little demon will shut up. And so we go to sleep with the sound of running water in the background.

Next day I am ahead of the game. The hot water heater remains unplugged, and we choose rather to endure once again cold showers. I look forward to a good night's sleep before our early day at the clinic and Embassy. Alas! It was not to be. From 3:00 to 5:00am I am fighting with the hot water heater from hell, with periodic commentary from Vitalik. Adjusting the hose does not stop it; leaving the water running does not stop it. Maybe as the sun came up, it just hissed its little self to death but the quiet finally came and with it, sleep.

I don't know what I will do tonight to stop this craziness. I am dreading the sun going down. Perhaps I need to call in an exorcist; or maybe I just need my engineer husband. Help, Gabe!!!!!!

3 comments:

Ande and Paula Underwood said...

Oh, what memories you will have. So glad that you are one step closer to leaving. Hang in there...I'll be praying for you to be able to sleep tonight.
Love you all,
Paula

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

Congrats on your passports! :) & blessings on your trip home!

terri garver said...

I am so glad you will be home soon. I saw Stacy today and she told me that you are coming home! This is great news.

Terri