Thursday, October 9, 2008

Playing Catch Up



Last week, I believe, we went to Birmingham to see Shane and Marilyn Duke, missionaries from Louisianna, currently serving in Ukraine. They serve in the region where Eli lived prior to joining our family. I thank God every day for Shane and Marilyn. Through their love and self-sacrifice, God poured his Word into my son's heart. Shane and Marilyn lead a camp every summer for the children in the surrounding villages. Many are hearing the gospel for the first time in that camp. Pray for them as they continue to share the love of Christ with Ukraine.




Also, one weeekend recently (I lose track) we went to Thomasville where Vitalik and Eli got to meet many of their extended family for the first time. We saw a high school football game and spent the day on "the farm" riding 4-wheelers and such. The boys enjoyed the visit and, to the best of my recollection, behaved very well. Sometimes when the usual routine is interrupted they get a little unsettled but lately they have been more flexible and able to enjoy going to new places and even meeting new people.







Lastly, I don't think I have mentioned the fact that Vitalik decided to start attending youth group on Wednesday nights at church. He looks forward to this time every week. I remember when we were in Ukraine and he would insist that he did not like church and would always balk at attending. I am amazed at the work God is doing in Him. Not only does he enjoy going to church on Sundays and Wednesdays, he is actually learning so much. Considering the language issue, I find this so remarkable. Earlier this week the whole family went to see Fireproof together. I worried Vitalik and Eli would not enjoy it, too much dialogue, etc. Not only did they enjoy it, they understood it. God is so very good.

2 comments:

Connie said...

What a great joy and blessing that V. is looking forward to his time at church and in the youth group!

I can still clearly recall our first Sunday home with our girls. Sunday morning church was quite an experience for them, but later that day when we told them (in our best Russian) that we'd be going BACK to church that evening our oldest exclaimed, "Yee-show????!!!!" (Again???). By His grace, it wasn't long until both of our girls looked forward to church.

And, praise the Lord for your missionary friends! Isn't it simply amazing to stand back and watch the Lord pouring His Word and love out on your kids?

In all my wildest dreams I never could or would have orchestrated things the way God has in our lives!!

Hall family said...

Gabe looks like he is hanging on for dear life behind the 4-wheeler!!!! great pics! And continually I am amazed at God connecting us all with the Dukes. WOW. Valerie