Thursday, October 23, 2008

Deja Vu

The night before we were to fly out of Kyiv, finally to America, back in July, Eli got into my bed to sleep. Vitalik pulled his air mattress as close to the bed as he could get it and, together, we worked through our fears without a word. We are in the process of moving. Gabe was not home last night; things are all in disarray and today we are taking most of our things to our new house. So last night at bed time, Eli got into my bed to sleep. Vitalik got out an air mattress and pulled it as close to my bed as he could get it. And together we worked through our fears, this time with words. I asked my boys "why do I feel like I am in Ukraine?" Eli, who has an answer for every question, replied with certainty, "the air mattress."

As we talked last night, Eli asked what he would have done in 3 years if we had not come to adopt him. He would have only been 13 years old in 3 years but he would have graduated fom the orphanage because he had been accelerated up to 6th grade when he was only 10. The last grade at the orphanage is 9th and then the children must leave. This morning, I looked down at Vitalik, who is so peaceful as he sleeps and I thought, too, of his graduating from the orphanage and how God intervened on his behalf. It is so hard for me to find the time to blog about serious subjects but daily as I live with these children, God shows me so much of Himself and so much of our calling as believers. Maybe I will find time to ponder some of these things more deeply and share them here but for today I would like to refer you to David and Cindi's blog and ask you to think about what they say about older child adoption. They are in Ukraine right now adopting two girls who were aging out. You can read their blog at www.doctordavid.wordpress.com.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I think a lot of the things we think/work through in the early days home with our kids tend to 'simmer' for a little while--it's God's way of making it part of who we are. I hope that doesn't sound too corny, but I have found it so very sweet to reflect back on our early days together, and be reminded of God's matchless grace and mercy to each one of us! It can be quite challenging to write or blog about life when there's SO much of it to lived right now!!!!!