Friday, August 1, 2008

We've been home a week

And it has been a good week. My biggest adjustment has been the change in the amount of groceries I have to buy. You wouldn't think that 2 more mouths would make such a big difference but I am having to go to the supermarket daily. I can't keep enough fruit, eggs, milk, bread and sausage in the house! Vitalik had gained 20 pounds in the 8 weeks he spent with us in Ukraine; hopefully that pace will slow down now that he can get out and exercise.

We have spent most of our first week close to home. We went to church Sunday and went swimming at the YMCA today. We got haircuts a few days ago and bought some clothes for the growing boy. Other than that, we've just hung out here. Its been like a vacation for me since we got home. To be able to leave the boys with Gabe while I run an errand......what a luxury. To have a few minutes of quiet while they play outside was not something afforded me in Ukraine.

The boys are working on their English and are improving daily. Eli has taken a couple of spills on the bicycle and has given it up for the time being. We are still struggling with remembering to call him Eli instead of Roman but he just goes with the flow. He has become such an affectionate and loving boy. He learns songs so easily. Our favorite to sing together is "More" by Matthew West. He is so precious singing it. When we were in Ukraine and he would start pouting, I would sing the Barney song to him and that has become another of his favorites, done with a dramatic "great big hug and a kiss from me to you." I already cannot imagine life without these two boys.

Luke is hosting a Halo party tonight and Vitalik has been practicing all week to get ready for it. I am glad that he will have the chance tonight to make some new friends. Colton is coming home tomorrow after being in California for 6 weeks or so. I can't wait to see him. He is such a delight to have around and I know will have lots of entertaining stories to tell. It will be good to have everybody all together in one place for the first time. Maybe we can arrange for our first family portrait. If so, I'll post it right here.

2 comments:

Connie said...

So very nice to read your update!! The weight gain sounds familiar--and so do the frequent visits to the grocery store! In our house, we never can keep enough bananas around.

BTW, we were in court today to readopt our girls. Both girls said they hope they never have to be in court again! I posted a pic. at our adoption blog.

Kevin and Tammy said...

Sounds slike things are going well. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
Tammy