Friday, August 29, 2008

God is real


WOW! We have been home 5 weeks! These weeks have flown by! Vitalik says it feels like he has been home a year. Don't know if that is a good sign or a bad one! Counting the two months he was with us in Ukraine, I guess you could say we are 3 months along on the journey; but hardly a year! Colton left to go back to college on Monday. We miss him terribly. My mother and her husband came to visit one day last week. Two of my nephews are here this weekend. We have been keeping activity to a minimum; mostly just hanging out around home. Eli went to Awanas for the first time Wednesday night and loved it; in spite of insisting that he would hate it. Gabe has been teaching Vitalik to cut the grass and even let him operate the bobcat to move some trees that fell during the last storm that came through. Luke is taking one class at Faulkner and one at a homeschool co-op. Alexandra is taking all of her classes at home but has piano lessons once a week. We are still working on dentist and doctor visits. Posting a daily schedule on the refrigerator keeps everybody in the groove.
The first four weeks at home were the roughest. Things have been gliding along smoothly now for about 10 days. That may not sound like a very long time but it is the heart change I am seeing in the boys that make it more significant. They are making such improvements. Pouting has dramatically decreased. They are grasping the concept of obedience and are making an effort at it. They are apologizing for their mistakes instead of denying them. They've got the homeschooling schedule down and are both working diligently during school hours. I am becoming more in tune with their moods and weaknesses and am able to circumvent some of the earlier problems. I won't say that it is easy. They still require my attention every waking hour. I am so thankful for the time that Gabe can spend with them to give me a break. I know that there will be more flare ups in the future but I am feeling more and more equipped to handle them. That is due, more than anything, to a heart change God has wrought in me. I have seen that, even with 20 years experience in parenting, I am not equipped in and of myself to parent these special children. They need more than I could ever muster up. But God has been faithful to once again remind me of his grace toward me as well as toward them. He will be the gentleness they need when my frustration seeks to get the best of me. He will forbear when I would choose to get angry. I am living out a lesson on the fruits of the Spirit. Not always successfully; but I will try and try again as the Holy Spirit enables me to do so. I am thinking this is going to be my last blog. I hardly have time to check email much less blog; however, if there is anyone who comes upon this blog and has any further interest in how life is playing out for these two precious children of God, please leave me acomment with your email and I would be happy to communicate with you further. Comments come to my email. Especially if you are considering the adoption of older children from Ukraine, I would love to tell you more about the blessings and joys, and yes, the struggles, of this calling. Even though we have only been home from Ukraine for 5 weeks, there is a restlessness in my spirit that draws my thoughts back to that country and its people. I still see the faces of the many children I have met there; children who, like my two sons, long for a family. Eli asked me recently if I believed in God and I said yes. Then he asked why. As I was thinking of how to explain my deep theological answer, he said "That's a silly question, isn't it? God gave you two new sons." "Two sons from Ukraine," Vitalik added. That fact was proof to them that God exists. I invite all readers of this blog to step out in faith and consider how they might prove to a broken, hurting, orphaned child that God is real and that He hears their cries.

Family Night at the Lanes

Surprise visit from Vitalik's friend, Chris Underwood today; Chris has been home from Ukraine for about 8 months

4 comments:

Leetha said...

Wow, what a journey. :) I still would love to hear about you, the boys and the rest of your family WHEN/hahahaha you have time.

Leetha

Connie said...

Oh my! When I saw your blog post on my RSS reader I was delighted--I've been wondering (and praying) for you in recent days/weeks!

There's just so much I would like to say in response, but you're a busy mom! Still, I must at least share this--thank you for your testimony to God's endless mercy and matchless grace in YOUR life as well as your boys.

I could not hold back my tears when I read of your conversation about God with Vitalik--may God be pleased to water and grow the seeds sown in and through you/your family, and friends.

Thanks for sharing your adoption journey!!!

ramona said...

What a blessing it has been to walk with you a bit these past few weeks and see how God has drawn you nearer to Him. May He continue to bless you as you go along on this journey.

I gave you a blog award, but please don't feel like you have to pass it out to others. I see it as an opportunity for others to visit your blog and read this wonderful testimony of God's grace in your lives. The award post is at www.lightinearthenvessels.blogspot.com

Hall family said...

Suzette...your passion and calling comes across so clear in your writing...thank you for all your family is doing to help bring children over, minister to orphan children and care for them above and beyond...we are excited to continue to watch from a distance, your family and your journey and most of all...at the blessings from caring for God's children in the most practical and yet trying way...in a family unit...where they can be the most impacted for His kingdom. Love Valerie