Saturday, November 15, 2008

Will she come back?



This picture speaks volumes about our lives right now. It was taken before we moved to Birmingham a few weeks ago. I had gone into town for maybe a couple of hours. I left Vitalik and Eli at home, along with Gabe, Luke and Alexandra. They were devastated. Alexandra snapped this picture of them after they pulled the chairs out into the driveway to await my return. I can imagine how this conversation was going: "Why she not take us?" "Why she want to go alone?" "Maybe she not love us." There is not an hour that goes by that I do not hear "where you go?" from Eli. He asks it every time I leave a room. One day I was assuring him that I would always return. "How I know?" he asked. And then there was the time Vitalik was begging for some time with me because, in his words "I not see you all day." In fact, we had been together all day. I will admit that sometimes I feel smothered and I pray that God will grant me patience and understanding. I know that I cannot even begin to imagine what these boys have faced that has caused such a fear of abandonment. But I do know that daily they are learning that I love them and that I can be trusted to come driving back into that driveway.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Precious picture!

I so understand feeling smothered! I can still see and hear my oldest (12.5 at the time) as she was very concerned one evening that I went to Wal-Mart ALONE, and left them home with Dad. And this was before they knew the 'joys' of Wal-Mart (as if there really are any!).

That picture is precious--and priceless!

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

The picture IS worth a thousand words! I got a half day alone to breath last week. I NEVER knew how much I needed it... I love our kids but it was so good to GO and not have to think in two languages :)
You speak truth!